Interesting military linklets:
Technorati tag: YC Military Technology FCS NMCI EMP laser relays
- Defense Tech reports, HILL RESEARCHERS VS. "FUTURE COMBAT" : The highly touted Future Combat Systems (FCS) is going to cost close to 500% more than its original bill of US$92B! Daily Wireless's write-up -- $450B Here, $450B There...
- Washington Technology reports, DHS secure network was rushed IG says : "The $337 million network for sharing top-secret data was developed in a rush, and as a result is inadequate and does not meet the needs of its users". In other words, more money needed! The contract was awarded to Northrop Grumman Corp in April 2004.
- GCN reports, NMCI management gets restructured : Well, at least the USN's house is in order.
- Defense Tech reports, CURSE YOU, BLOGGERS! : "... She admitted, however, that they ‘still don’t know how to handle the bloggers ..." Oh, well, if you did things this way, it would be much easier no? :)
- Defense Tech reports, EMP SCAREMONGERS FIZZLE : What do you mean Iran can't do it with an EMP? They did it in Ocean's Eleven!
- asiansecurity.blog-city.com reports, Upgrading Hawaii : I wonder how Hawaii's economy will cope with this. Defense and tourism are the two biggest money generators there.
- smh.com.au reports, Brigadier shocks and awes: there is no war on terrorism : "... populations were being cut off from their traditional roots, giving them "aspirations that cannot be immediately met", and fuelling a search for identity. Terrorists were exploiting local issues - such as ethnic wars - to pursue global ends. From a military point of view, the job was now one of counter-insurgency ..."
- Defense Tech reports, LASER RELAYS FLASHING BACK? : It works, unless there's heavy cloud cover, strong winds, etc etc etc. Talk about fair weather technology. It needs more work!
- textually.org reports, Student suspended after getting call from mom in Iraq and later, School Reduces Suspension Over Iraq Call : I can understand if they're schooling kids whose parents are based in Iraq. Isn't there a better way to do handle this? As their assistant principal said, the school serves Fort Benning. Come up with a better policy.
- Network-Centric Advocacy writes, The U.S. Army Professional Writing Collection: Food for Thought : They did the post-war thing right after WWII. After that, well...