YC

Monday, May 09, 2005

Coping with e-mail overload

Stever Robbins has a good write-up on this. I can confidently say that I practice most of what is preached here. I still can't fathom how someone could possibly do this
Negative Forwarding Demonstration #1
To: Bill
Sue’s idea, described below, is great.

---
From: Sue
Hey, Abner:
Let’s take the new design and add sparkles around the border. Bill probably won’t mind; his design sense is so garish he’ll approve anything. [Ed: emphasis mine]

Postive Forwarding Demonstration #1
To: Bill
Sue’s idea, described below, is great.

---
From: Sue
Hey, Abner:
Let’s take the new design and add sparkles around the border…

And I love his novel idea of charging people by number of e-mails. Hey, do you expect anything less from a Harvard MBA? ;)

Found the link from David Brake's articles on Tips for managing e-mail in organizations. David also has a write-up on Dealing with e-mail.

Technorati tag:

2 Comments:

  • This very well happened to me once. I work in an IT industry and often have to face "real smart" users who disagree with my professional comment. During this time, I was asked many times to look at a problem that was infact not our problem! I got fustrated to the point where I sent an email directly to the account manager incharged of the customer and venge my lack of productivity caused by the constant bugging from the dumb end user and have her handle the issue. In the same email, it contained details of my findings on the problem. She promptly clicked forward and typed a 5 line paragraph (courteously asking them to handle their own problem) before my comments and sent it to the company. You could see the horror in my face when I received the CC copy of this "courtesy" email. Luckly we did not lose the customer... they just stopped bugging us all together! :P

    By Anonymous rocksalts, at 5/10/2005 1:36 PM  

  • It happened to a former classmate of mine recently too. How I cope with this is, (1) type in the professional part of my feedback in an e-mail and (2) follow it up with a call (for venting if that's needed!).

    It sounds like a little more work but it helps.

    By Blogger YC, at 5/10/2005 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home