YC

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Computers Can Make You Stupid

Buried among the comments in tomorrow.sg's blog on "Bloggers.SG 2005 - Date and Venue"
Wow, sponsorship for refreshments! Fantastic! But do we have to give our full name and IC number? :)

Posted by YC on 31 May, 2005 - 2:53pm
YC > only women need to give handphone number. Hahha. Joking hor.

Posted by cowboycaleb on 31 May, 2005 - 3:04pm
caleb > Be careful what you ask for, you may get some angry ex-boyfriend's number!

Posted by YC on 31 May, 2005 - 3:10pm

This little IC/handphone number repartee with Caleb reminds me of a recent experience I had while doing what all law-abiding Singapore IC (Identity Card) holders have to do when they hit the big three-O. No, it's not telling everyone that you're only 21, which reminds me of a George Carlin joke on aging, but I digress. When you turn 30 here, you need to re-register your IC with the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority(ICA).

So what happened was, they sent me the notice 10 days before my birthday asking me to either complete the re-registration and payment online, or to post the completed form back. I chose the online method for reasons of convenience. Having filled in my log in information, I then proceeded to click on the option to re-register. It rejected me repeatedly, and I didn't know why.

I called ICA to ask if I had the log in information wrong somehow. While speaking with the customer service officer, it dawned upon me that maybe, just maybe, the clever system was designed to only accept my re-registration when I mathematically turn t-h-i-r-t-y and not a few miserable days before that! So I asked if that was the case. I swear I could hear his sheepish grin when he told me that yes, that was the case!

So, had I mailed in my forms, I could have collected my new IC before I turn three-oh. But because I chose the more convenient and efficient online method, I had to wait till I hit AVG(29,31) before I could!

Oh well, it sure beats the Duck and the Hippo!

Technorati tag:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home